Dean of Students - Vacancy
Africa University, a Pan African, United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic positions:
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor, the Dean of Students is responsible for the overall vision and effectiveness of Africa University’s student services and residential education, for providing strategic initiatives and direction for student affairs, for ensuring the delivery of effective and quality service to students in the following areas: student housing, counseling, student conduct, and orientation; and for coordinating services specifically for international students.
Applicants should have the following attributes:
- A doctorate degree in a relevant discipline including Psychology, Counselling and Adult Education
- A track record in leadership and administration in a university.
- Demonstrated experience and a clear vision of managing cultural diversity and students’ social services.
- Commitment to the maintenance of high standards of ethical behaviour among staff and students.
- Experience working in international and multicultural environment is a must.
- Sensitivity, imagination, and effectiveness in responding to challenging student and campus community issues;
- Provides a compelling vision of the role of residential education and student services in the overall educational experience of students at Africa University, and the ability to advance this vision in a resource-constrained environment;
- Demonstrates commitment to diversity in all its forms, including a track record of individual action and institutional leadership;
- Develops goals, strategies and plans for ensuring student development, making campus life more interesting and vibrant;
- Puts in place measures to ensure easy student access, success and ensuring that student living conditions are excellent;
- Initiates and mobilizes resources in collaboration with other stakeholders;
- Overseas the performance of all units in the department including (Food Services, Health, Counselling, Halls of residence, International advisory, Sport services and Student Representative Council);
- Serves as Student Advocate, educating and advising students;
- Oversees the design, development and implementation of student education and training programmes to promote leadership, growth, wellness and development;
- Establishes a student culture where diversity is encouraged and where students learn to respect differences, take responsibility for their actions and exercise leadership;
- Provides guidance and advice to students on immigration regulations and to ensure processing and routine renewal of study permits in line with country laws;
- Explains, interprets and enforces University policies, rules and regulations in a fair and objective manner as they pertain to students and staff;
- Actively pursues partnerships with reputable donors and sponsors that are beneficial to the university;
- Appreciates Africa University’s particular culture of intellectual engagement and demonstrates the ability to help students manage its pressures, and effectiveness in working with members of the university to enhance student success.
Applications together with six (6) copies (applies if application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 30 September 2017